Thread: white knuckling
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

Originally Posted by TKS View Post
Ah, sorry if that post appeared to be in direct response to yours. I was starting to write it before I saw yours posted.

However since you brought it up, while I understand that 'white knuckling is specifically not an AA term, it does seem to appear often in AA member's discourse, both verbally and on forums, along with the interchangeable term 'dry drunk', the latter of which does carry some insultory connotations. This is also a bit of a silly term, when we consider that the word 'drunk' = 'alcoholic', and every speaker takes the floor describing themselves as an alcoholic.

This isn't intended to incite argument, but rather to constructively debate & discuss the methodology from an alternative perspective, hence why I'm doing so in this subforum. I think it's important to hear what others, particularly non-AA adherents have to say on the subject, and how they have resolved the questionable aspects of the AA model, and still used the program to succeed.
No offense taken TKS and I do agree that the term "dry drunk" can be insulting when referring to someone else (I do not use the term myself). I try not to take other people's inventory period, regardless of what method of recovery they are using if any. I will offer support to those who ask for it, and all I can do is give them my experience. They can either take it or leave it depending on whether it helped them or not.

If I came across as pushing an AA agenda it was not intentional. This is actually the first time I have posted in this forum. The only other time I have been in here has been to read about AVRT, as I found the concept interesting and potentially useful. I actually stumbled into the forum following a link that riky posted in a different thread. I definitely respect everyone trying to get and stay sober regardless of the method they use.