Thread: Sister
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EveningRose

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
It occurs to me that many of the dysfunctional ways we relate to each other is due to growing up in a dysfunctional home with our folks setting us up to not get along.
I have long felt that my parents did this to us as siblings.

My feeling is there's nothing I can do about it. Given our upbringing, with me as the problem child (scapegoat), anything I say will fall on deaf ears and be heard by siblings as me 'being stubborn' and blaming other people and refusing to look at all the ways I've caused trouble in the family. (Please hear the tongue in cheek--I've lived a ridiculously straight as an arrow life and spent decades refusing to get down in the mud and fight, rather simply walking away from it.)

I personally have no problem walking away from siblings. They're adults. They can make friends. They have the rest of the family. And if a relationship with me is important, all they need to do is treat me with the same respect they'd treat their friends. I guess this is why I have no problem walking away--they'd never dream of doing and saying to others what they do to me, and they know others would walk away from them, too.