Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Eleni58

2 years ago I ended up in ER with dangerously low potassium levels and was admitted to the hospital because the doctor said my heart could stop at any time. My blood alcohol content was .20. They also ran blood tests while in the hospital and told me my liver enzymes were very high. At a follow up visit with my doctor, she asked how much I drank and I was honest about the fact that I drank every day but I fudged on the amount I drank. I never had discussed my drinking with my doctor before that. She said I had alcoholic liver disease and asked if I wanted to quit. I said no, I can't quit and don't want to. Fast forward 2 years later and before I quit I called my doctor and told her I am an alcoholic and wanted to quit but was scared of detoxing (getting DT's, etc). I requested she write me a script for drugs to get me through it, but she refused. She simply stated that if things got bad, to go to ER. As it turned out, I didn't get bad symptoms from withdrawal and I am grateful that she didn't prescribe me any drugs. I am also relieved to have finally admitted to my doctor that I have a problem and was going to do something about it.

There is no reason to be ashamed or embarrassed to admit alcoholism to your doctor. They know it's a disease and probably have treated hundreds of patients for it.