View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nighthawk8820
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Ironman9292 View Post
So im on day 16 now and have just experienced true ridiculousness! Im not looking for a relationship at this point in my life, I figure why complicate my recovery efforts. That being said, I had a text from a girl that wants to date me this morning.(she is a non-drinker) This is a person that went out of her way to express how much she cared about me a few days ago. I was honest and told her that now wasn't the best time and finally just flat out told her, "hey, im a recovering alcoholic and im trying to get my life right". So she had a few questions and asked how long I had gone without and how I knew that I had a problem. She seemed very genuine and compassionate so I answered her. When I answered she insisted that I was just confused and didn't have a problem.. So I explained myself in detail thinking maybe she didn't hear me the first time and she still insisted that I did not have a drinking problem.. She blamed it on my loneliness and depression.(which started as a result of me drinking heavily) LOL I wanted to ask her about buffalo wings and chicken of the sea tuna but decided to be nice.

-Frustration-
Its odd, when we try and change our lives and selves for the better, we run into people who just dont seem to want that to occur. It can be family, friends, partners, or even newbies who selfishly want something from you, and could care less about what it is you are working on or trying to accomplish. Is she a doctor? Has she been where you were? I doubt it, so maybe you should seriously distance yourself from her and people like her. Ive run into people who have told me I am not a "real alcoholic" because I was able to quit on my own with the help of god and determination. They werent there when I was blacked out and burning holes in my couch because I was passing out.......or for the millions of other things I did I wasnt proud of, so basically their opinion doesnt count to me. Stick to what you are trying to do, and to hell with everyone else who may stand in your way.............and they will pop up from the most unexpected places.