Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BabyJane

Ways I deal with PAWS (Not medical advice to be taken as such, just my tools and advice from experience; seeing a doctor is ALWAYS great!)

1.) Get some exercise - even if all you can do is a short walk, do a short walk or whatever you can to get moving. This stimulates the production of endorphins in your brain and helps with sore muscles, anxiety, depression, etc...

2.) Drink more water - water flushes out toxins and is the building block for our entire body system. When we get dehydrated we slow the renewal of cells and healing of the body. Drink A LOT of water and avoid caffeine, too much salt and too much sugar as that will lead to dehydration and isn't helpful.

3.) Eat good healthy meals - this is obvious. You are what you eat so don't eat junk and you will feel much better!

4.) Take Vitamins and supplements - multi V's, maybe look into Valerian for sleep and anxiety, St. John's Wart for the low moods, take lots of Fish oil and look into other supplements you can use to help with detox. Google 'Thomas Detox Method' for more info.

5.) Get help and support from family, friends and the recovery community - even if its not a 12 step just try to find something you can do to get involved. Being alone will set you up for failure. You need people to talk with and lean on, especially in the beginning.

6.) See a doctor and / or therapist - I did this to treat ongoing depression and I got the help I needed because I didn't want to relapse! Period! Don't be afraid to go see a professional.

Good luck my friend! Rooting for ya.