View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nocellphone
Cruelty-Free

Minority Opinion

I'm in the minority here, but I just wanted to reiterate what's been said at countless Al-Anon meetings---by the program, not the people--- which is to avoid making major, life-altering decisions for at least six months (unless one's physical well-being is in danger) and to attend Al-Anon meetings, read Al-Anon literature, and find support and sponsorship in those rooms. Al-Anon's been offering a path to recovery for over 50 years to millions of people in alcoholic situations. I find them trustworthy.

For me, it was always the easier choice to cut and run when it became clear that I'd gotten myself into a toxic situation. Unfortunately, I hadn't dealt with my own issues (the ones that lead me repeatedly into those situations) so I just kept recreating more of the same.

Al-Anon talks about the Three A's: Awareness, Acceptance, Action. For me, it's dangerous to leap from the first A to the third A while bypassing the Acceptance part. This is not about accepting another person's unacceptable behavior; it's about accepting the part I play in forming these relationships, coming to grips with this part of me, and learning how to be healthier and more serene---whether the alcoholic is drinking or not.

Peace...