View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
hayley86

Hi Mangoes,
I found walking daily and exercise was the thing that helped me the most in early sobriety. If i ever felt like my mind was thinking of drinking i would go for a walk and it distracted me and shut my thoughts down for a while. Reading and posting on here has been invaluable too. I have learned so much from others on this website who have been successful in sobriety and it gives me added confidence that i will be successful in the long term too if i follow their advice.

Healthy eating is really important for me also. Eating well combined with exercise puts me in a great mind frame everyday and motivates me to stay sober and be well in general. Keeping my environment tidy and organized also puts me in a good mind frame as being the other way reminds me of how chaotic my life used to be when i was drinking which is negative.

A good routine in general and reading, writing and making small goals for myself everyday also really helps me stay on track. I also try and do something everyday for someone else so that i am not so focused on myself and my recovery and i find this makes me feel good. Now i have more sober time on my side i like to try and push myself to do things i wouldn't have done when drinking.

Great thread btw