Thread: My Three Omens
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
legna

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
I told him that you had written a book on poker (I think you said) and he said you should write something on your story of recovery. In some ways, it was reminiscent of that book “In the realm of Hungry Ghosts, where he talks about different realms of life (based on the Buddhist concepts).
Well, interestingly enough, I am currently writing that book. It is a Buddhist allegory. Our young hero and his mentor pass through a veil via meditation and find themselves on one of the mythological thirty-one planes of existence, one of which is the realm of hungry ghosts. Adventure ensues, moral lessons learned and they return until the next adventure - cue book two.

While not recovery based per se, it is a young adult novel that encapsulates lessons that I have learned in recovery. And if I can motivate young folks to meditate in an attempt to have such an adventure the way another young adult series motivated children to check the back of every wardrobe they run across for the rest of their lives... no harm there.