View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MatildaRose

Thank you so much for sharing this idea. I know myself well and I know that this will be a tool I can use to help me in recovery. I just to keep a daily journal and would pick a colored marker (from the dollar store) to write with. Some days I was PINK, others BLUE. On silly days I was a rainbow of colors. I may add my own personal touch to your idea but it will get me back doing daily planning. Thanks again! Blessings to you! Tilly ...sometime Silly~ Tilly...lol
Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
I know many people here use AA or a similar support group in order to aid their recovery.

I'm also curious to know about any little personal "tools" that folks are using to help them toe the line?

Personally, I use a little booklet of index cards that I bought at the dollar store. First thing in the morning, when I'm having my coffee (being a morning person, this is always "my" time of day), I do a mental and physical inventory and write out a few things on the card.

After I figure out what my challenges are likely to be for the day (am I already tired/ cranky/ is it likely a day filled with triggers or am I really hopeful and full of strength tHat day), I write myself some "instructions", eg. Don't get hungry... Be kind to yourself, when x calls just breathe. I make them simple so if I'm having a bad moment, I can read them quickly and act to stem the tides.

If I'm having a good day, I give myself a "stretch exercise" to do, which is something that I might find scary or uncomfortable, but I know will help my recovery. Last week one of my exercises was joining SR. if I'm having a bad day, I change that exercise to a kindness for myself. It may be something as simple as taking 1/2 hour to have a nice hot shower just to relax, and paint my nails. The point on those days is to take care of me first, and by writing it down, I force myself to take that time.

After I've written my stuff for the day, I flip the previous days card over and write all the things I was proud of myself for accomplishing / following through on that day.

By flipping the cards one way, I can see my day-to-day instructions for how to keep moving forward. By flipping them the other way, I can see all the progress and growth I've made, and all the little affirmations that I've made the right choice.

I know everyone has little ways to keep themselves motivated and on track; what's yours?