View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Eleni58

Treeners, this is MY story too! I am 10 days sober and just realized my b/f of four years is in denial about being an alcoholic. He hasn't gone to the extremes (yet) that your b/f did, but he has said some pretty nasty things while drunk. The reason he doesn't think he's an alcoholic is because he doesn't drink every day. But when he does drink (twice a month), he can't stop until he's drunk. I first accused him last night of being an alcoholic when he went to a party (without me because I chose not to go as I am still early in my recovery) and said he was going to have "just a couple beers" but ended up getting drunk once again. It was the first time I saw him drunk through my sober eyes. He blew up at me and said "I knew this was going to happen when you quit drinking--you are all hoity toity now." He was enraged when I called him an alcoholic because he can't stop after one drink and said that our relationship is not going to work if I "hound" him about his drinking. And that I "ruined" his fun last night by telling him he was an alcoholic in denial. I went to bed very sad, but I did not relapse. Today, he is not talking to me. I don't know what to say or do. Was I wrong to tell him he is an alcoholic? I am thinking I should just worry about my own recovery and not try to "save" him.