View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
Statements like being a recovered alcoholic is so off base I cringe.
I'm a recovered alcoholic. And I've been recovered for more than 30 years from my alcoholism. My statement alone, and my identification with the statement, I doubt either make you cringe, visch. I'm not saying you don't cringe over whatever about "being recovered", I'm just saying MY being recovered is not the cause of your cringing. You likely cringe from your own uncomfortable ideas and feelings about YOU being recovered is likely more real then you projecting your cringing onto the experiences of others I suspect.

Or perhaps from your perspective visch, you may want to suggest my own 30 years of successfully being recovered from my alcoholism is patently unimportant and just more misinformation on the internet??!

I take it you yourself have no positive experiences with being recovered, and if so, to each their own, no problem. Folks staying in recovery rather then declaring themselves recovered, does not maker me cringe, but rather I celebrate their recovery no less my own. Being in perpetual recovery is not my choice, but others making such a choice is absolutely not a problem or concern for me.

Also for many folk, there is nothing to recover from -- no illness, no alcoholism, no recovery required. They just quit, and get on with living. Again, no cringing from me with this either, and I celebrate their quitting drinking no less then my own.

When folks quit alcohol, for whatever reason - and they declare themselves happily quit, and they have personal experience with successfully quitting - I don't need anything more as evidence for me to happily celebrate their awesome achievement!