View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
visch1

Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
In terms of psychology, are people generally similar to one another, or individually distinct?

I think there is a huge spectrum of different personality types, personal experiences, religious beliefs, underlying motivations, family history, etc. etc.

Given that, it would genuinely astonish me if one and only one recovery method was valid.

Just my $0.02....
Good point and I agree. Now show me the ones with a good track record that's stood up for years. The medical with all it's research etc? The psychology community is as bad. The only one I know is the double a and to me it is far from a star for the long term but compared to others does well. As stated above there is such a wide spectrum of personalities involved it seems alcohol wins as only about 5% of problem drinkers seek sobriety out of the problems 17% have with it. One thing overlooked above is the amount of brain damage alcoholics have acquired due to drinking. Believe me it's far higher than a little. When you take a very sharp lawyer who has consumed far too much over the years reduced to drinking Listerine and thinking it's not alcohol and walking around wearing an old overcoat, living in an abandoned car with a shoe and a sneaker on and with wine sores it demonstrates we're not dealing with a health food. I get upset with people spreading info on the internet that probably caused people to drink again and all the damage that can cause and it happens too often from probably good intentioned folks.. Even if we reject certain words does not mean we are free of the disease and recovered. To me recovered means the ailment is gone but unfortunately alcoholism is not removed from me so awareness of this beast, shite fairy to me is life long awareness. So far it's worked one day at a time. BE WELL