View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bemyself

I've dumped alcohol (wine) so many times now I could probably have a little weekend break somewhere on the dollars down the drain. As well, of course, even an even bigger break somewhere on the dollars down my throat.

It's almost a moot point for me now. I spent the last year and a half of what I earnestly believed was (serious / this is the end) recovery completely avoiding going out anywhere where drinking could or does take place. And the very rare times I did go out (I don't go to pubs or bars, I'm talking merely cafes or restaurants, or even certain movie or live theatres where there's a very small bar - where people have a couple of wines or a beer before the show), I was able to look away - grinding my teeth, a little but not too bad.

No, my drinking has almost entirely taken place at home in the past several years. And as others have said: I've thrown it out. Then, when the terrible cravings hit, I'm off to the little bottle shop nearby. That's part of what I truly hate about the easy availability of alcohol in our culture.

And, I simply cannot understand good folk such as Fallow - a few others have said similar things on this forum: having stuff in the liquor cabinet? Being able to pass it by every day, not wanting to drink it? And not drinking some of it even when you wanted to? To me, even in my one pretty secure (I thought) 6 months of sobriety last year, I couldn't have been in that kind of mind space. All power to any who can!