Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nighthawk8820
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by EmmaFern View Post
My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years now. When I first me him, he was a serious alcoholic. He would drink almost every single night. After a year or so, I told him that I was tired of him drinking and if he wasn't willing to get some help, I was going to walk away. Dec. 31st 2011, he made his New Year's Resolution to quit drinking. I was very doubtful that he would follow through with his goal because he refused to join a program like AA or any type of alcoholic "self help" or support group.

It was a struggle the first few months, he slowly started drinking less and less. It was very difficult for me because he was tired and in a bad mood for months, but I stood behind his decision and he too stuck with it. Over the next year, he would only slip up once a month or so. He really has come a LONG way since I first met him and he is still trying to this day.

My question is, when is someone considered a recovering alcoholic. He hardly ever drinks anymore and when he does, it's maybe once every month or two, because he is hanging with his guys and wants to relax. I know he wants to relax, but I feel like he should not drink at all. I don't want to see him return to the point he was once at. He gets upset with me when I get after him for having a beer, but I truly want whats best for him.

Is it bad if he has a beer every month or so? If you're a 'recovering' alcoholic, you should not drink at all right?

Thanks for the help
I agree with you, if you have a problem, you cant moderate yourself and need to completely remove whatever your addicted to from your life. Even the occasional drink will almost always lead to more, and more, and MORE as time goes on. Alcoholism is not something that can be cured or goes away after a certain amount of not drinking, it will always lay in wait and its up the person in recovery to stay sober and avoid any alcohol, no matter what. That is the only way recovery works.