View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

First of all, all that stuff about how you did this and you did that and you should have done such and such to "help" him is garbage. He drinks because he is an alcoholic, not because you did or did not do something.

Two suggestions for you. First, I suggest you avoid ALL contact with him. That means no getting updates from him, his friends, or his Facebook page. You have broken up, which is absolutely the best thing that could have happened to you, whether you realize it or not. So don't torture yourself by communicating with him or keeping an eye on what he's up to. He slit his wrists when he was WITH you, remember? So your being around is not going to "save" him from anything.

Second, I suggest you get yourself to Al-Anon so you can start healing from this train wreck of a relationship. I'm assuming you are still a fairly young woman, so you have a long, happy life ahead of you. It's very easy to become addicted not only to the alcoholic, but to the drama. If you would like to enjoy a happy relationship someday, you may need a little re-programming.

Welcome, glad you're here.