View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eve13

Tough Love - Seeking advise

Our AS age 23, moved out end of May as he was caught by the court for testing positive for pot, his DOC. On probation for drunk and disorderly, he has been told to stay clean. So, he chose to move out. This has been the nicest 2 months with him gone! No having to hide purse/wallet, no "worrying" if he is going to work/class/appointments. It has been a good opportunity to be on SR and read and learn about addiction.

Tonight, he called. He no longer has his room in the house he has been renting and "needs" to move home. He said the landlord rented too many rooms to too many people (huh? really?) When questioned, he said that is all he knew. I told him he could come over and talk to us.

This is where I NEED HELP. My husband (who has not gone to meetings or read up on addiction) feels he needs a place to live (here). My response is:
1. He's 23.
2. He is not working. He is not going to school. He is not going to meetings. He is not keeping counseling appointments. He cannot live here.
3. If we let him move in now and he gets all comfy, we will live in fear of him helping himself to our money.
4. If he moves in now, we could very well be facing this same problem when we are 70 and he is 40.

Quick! Are there any circumstances when it's ok for the addict not in recovery to come home???? Son coming over soon.