View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
funkynassau

The drunk returns today

I started writing here about an alcoholic "friend" I had who was driving me nuts. I got a lot of support from folks here and I thank all of you for it. He is currently on his way back today from a 2 wk holiday in Cuba, where he will likely have spent most of his time hammered. I expect he's in a major funk/bad mood today because he has to come back home, to the same sh*t different day. Fighting with his elderly mother who lives with him.

I'd cut contact over a month ago because I just couldn't stand him anymore. He was pretty negative and verbally abusive to me, via email, before his holiday and he was beyond angry. My goal was not to p*ss him off but to explain I cant handle him anymore, politely said as best I could. I now know that he will never understand how I feel.

So I've had a month of no contact, and two wks of him being away. I've enjoyed the peace and quiet and total lack of stress. But now I am a bit nervous of what he may do when he gets home. I dont want him to contact me, but rationality is not his strong suit.

I dont plan to initiate any convo with him, in any way. But sooner or later I will run into him in town, it's a small rural area we are in. I can walk past him if need be, or I can say hi if he initiates a hi. I just dont care to have anything to do with him. Ever. Again.

You folks gave me the strength to deal with this, and I am grateful. I've been reading here every day for 5 wks or so, and learned a lot and have contributed when I felt I had something worth saying. I appreciate the kindness and lack of judgment from everyone! This place is a godsend, especially for people in much worse situations than I am in.

Thanks,
Funkynassau