View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Isaiah
Dismember

I'm grateful for being oblivious

I was just reading a post about the friends we keep in our sobriety and had a small epiphany.

Today I got to spend time with three of my best friends, hanging out at their house, enjoying a beautiful late afternoon in their backyard. I hadn't even thought about it until I opened a thread a moment ago, that while we were hanging out two of my friends had cracked open beers. It just didn't register as anything significant at the time. I was too engrossed in the conversation and joking around.

Holy heck! That kind of gives me a lot to be grateful for even if it's a small thing. I was so hung up on what should've mattered in that situation: friends I love, beautiful weather, two silly dogs, that the popping of cans went pretty much unnoticed.

Isn't that what I've wanted with my sobriety? The ability to participate in a full life again without a drinking obsession coloring every moment of it. I know I'm by no means cured, I never will be, but to have some measure of freedom against a constant compulsion to wreck my life over a drug may just be one of the greatest blessings I've had in my life.

Shoot! This makes me want to get back to working a proper 12th step. I want everyone who's struggling with alcohol to be able to have a moment like this.