View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Janesayz

New to recovery, where to start?

I have been sober 19 days. I quit after realizing I had lost multiple relationships to alcohol and if I didn't stop I was going to lose my health and my career too. I can't say I've craved alcohol since quitting which has been a relief but realize there may come a day when I really want to drink and I know I am going to need support and a plan of action to avoid giving in.

My question is where should I go from here? I have never been to an AA meeting before? Do others recommend that? I have made an appointment with a psychologist that specializes in alcohol and substance abuse. I think that will be helpful. Most of my friends still drink, a few abuse alcohol but most just drink moderately socially. What do I tell them when they ask why I am not drinking at get-together s? How do I tell my alcohol abusing friends I don't want to go to bars with them or hang out with them when alcohol is the entire focus of the evening?

When I first quit I couldn't sleep well but now that is improving. One thing that is bothering me is I am overeating and feel constantly hungry. I know I lost weight while I was drinking but feel I have regained the 5 pounds I lost and am now putting on additional weight. This is very frustrating for me. I struggled with bulimia when I was younger and am afraid all of this overeating may trigger an eating disorder relapse. I quit smoking at the same time I quit drinking so maybe that is contributing to the weight gain? When will my appetite subside? I miss never feeling hungry although at this point I really don't miss much else.

Any recommendations on books, groups, coping strategies for a newly sober girl would be much appreciated. Thanks