View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  
LizG

Reeny -- We miss you! Your middle-of-the-night (our time!) posts bump our Jan. thread to the top where I’m used to seeing it in the morning. I hope you’re well and recovering nicely from your surgery.

So two very small pleasures I’d been looking forward to were nixed this week. My dinner friend ordered pop ( = no greedy red wine sniff) and I needed to be at the house last night (= no opportunity to reintroduce those saddle sores).

Dinner with my friend was nice, but it’s funny how people (the very few I’ve told about quitting) now react when it comes to their own alcohol consumption. Said friend ordered diet generic pop X, & I said, “What?! It’s your belated b-day dinner. No scrimping! Order wine for gawd’s sake.” “Ah no, that’s OK, I should really cut down too,” came the reply. Thus ensued a short conversation about the fact that I am not cutting down, but quitting and that he should really enjoy a glass of wine if he wanted to (which, it turns out, he did), and that I was not averse to people drinking in my presence. In Jan., Feb. and even most of March this was not the case and I purposely avoided a few events because I didn’t feel “in control,” but if I’m sitting across the dinner table from you, you may (& should!) imbibe if you feel so inclined. (The only time I still get a bit nervous is if I’m unprepared, e.g., booze-y work potluck or husband’s red-wine-loving friend landing on the doorstep with no notice). Well, perhaps I was a bit too adamant, because he still wouldn’t order the darn glass of wine. Stubborn man robbed me of that olfactory pleasure.