View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

Tomorrow is always another day but tomorrow also never comes. Are you drinking thinking that you've always got tomorrow? Because tomorrow is not a guarantee. What we do today shapes our tomorrow. What's going on during your witching hour? Are you doing the same thing but expecting different results? For me, i had to change my behavior during my difficult times. I can't stay engaged in behavior and practices as i did when i was drinking. I had to shake things up. For me, that includes keeping a book on hand for when i need a distraction that i would usually fill by drinking. Sometimes, i come here to get me through a difficult time. You have to do something otherwise, you cravings and habit will lead you dangerously close to drinking.

Live in the present. Don't borrow future time. Have sober options. Don't try to think your way through the rough patches. Have something you enjoy to fall back on when you need it. Take it minute by sober minute when you need to. Come here first. You are only a slave to alcohol when you're drinking. The problem isn't the second or fifth or tenth drink, it's the first one and the path that leads you to it. You've walked that path time and time again and you know where it leads. Time to get off that path and explore new ones.

I hope you don't take this as me harping on you. I've been in your exact same situation. My trouble time used to be an hour before my husband got home. That's when i would break and run to the liquor store. Sometimes, it was that hour after my husband went to bed and before the gas station stopped selling beer. Sometimes, i had to sit on my hands and read here to pass the time. Other times, i had to skiddadle to a meeting. The thing is, i got myself some options and it was easier to make it past the hard times when i had something planned that i could fall back on. Keep trying new things! Eventually, you will find something that works. It might not be the most convenient option but it's a sober one and that's where it counts. One day, you will discover that you've changed your behavior and you thinking and your habits and you'll find the sober path easier and easier to choose. We're here for you, hon.