Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
DrSober
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
Originally Posted by DrSober View Post
First, I never said "alcoholics" can return to safe drinking. I said "problem drinkers" MAY be able to return to safe drinking. The tricky part there is it's near impossible to tell for sure who is simply a "problem drinker" versus who is an "alcoholic."

Second, honestly, who cares? Doesn't change my larger point - that even if you suspect you might not be an alcoholic, but instead are merely a problem drinker for whom moderation management and controlled drinking programs might be appropriate - it's still a better choice to pursue abstinence. The cost-benefit analysis just doesn't add up to pursue moderation, a mistake can kill you. Mistakenly pursuing abstinence means you live a good life.
!st is that people reading these posts are seeing themselves as alcoholics which indicates problem drinking.
So with what authority do you post knowingly the impossibility in finding the difference Dr. Your post certainly could convince many with the shite fairy active, rationalization "Hey, I'm only a problem drinker so I can continue drinking." Perhaps a couple are now dead today after reading what they wanted to see on the internet. This sort of thing is what I referred to when the old timers said as a newcomer we have nothing to contribute so sit up front and listen. Who cares? This is not a lecture hall being given to a group of people who don't have a clue. This is life and DEATH posted by an unknown authority on the INTERNET!
The thing I disagree with you about, visch1, is that our own personal "shite fairies" are far more powerful than any words of a random "authority" on the internet. If this OP thinks he's just a "problem drinker" vs. an "alcoholic," and suspects that he can moderate safely, there's nothing we can say to convince him otherwise, and I think you're mistaken to think so. Telling this person, "you're an alcoholic just for asking" is just a nice way to alienate him (which some have donw). Might make us feel good, won't help him, and I don't think is a fair point anyways.

I think the better route is to simply tell this person he might be mistaken and if he's mistaken, trying to moderate can kill him. Which is undeniably true regardless of how you feel about moderation approaches.

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
Try to remember that the phyc, medical community, church and all so called research has in over centuries has made NO significant contribution in deterring alcoholism, individually or as a hole. AA has though!
BE WELL
So you're saying that peer-reviewed, scientific research of psychosocial and medical approaches for alcohol treatment have shown over the "centuries" no effectiveness of any approach, other than Alcoholics Anonymous? Research has shown AA is *the* only effective approach?

I respect your opinion. I'll just leave it there.