Thread: Relieved
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NorCaliGal

Relieved

Hello -

I have been posting mainly in the newcomers forum regarding my own drinking (I'm on day five of sobriety) - but my boyfriend is also a serious binge drinker who has been getting progressively worse. And quickly. Most attempts to talk to him about it was met with avoidance or denial. I have been so worried about him. We don't live together and I kept thinking he could fall, choke or simply pass out and not wake up and it would be too late. I also worried about him, and everyone else he may encounter, while driving when drunk/blacked out to get more alcohol during a binge.

Through all of this I've known that I couldn't make him quit, couldn't control his drinking, etc. He had to come to his own realization that he had a problem. Stepping out of his way and hoping he'd do so has been so difficult. It's so sad to watch someone you love struggle - especially when I could personally identify with it. I had come to the point where I knew I needed to stop drinking, how come he couldn't?

But yesterday my boyfriend made that first small -but huge- step and admitted he has a problem. He talked to his bosses and they were understanding (he'd been missing lots of work, showing up late, etc.) He's going to start AA.

I'm so relieved. I know he has a long road ahead of him but at least now he's admitted he needs help.

Yesterday was a good day.