View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
StevenT

I'm just going to state my experience here.

I have had many, many crushes on women in recovery. Their outsides were very appealing, so to speak. Some of them even had beautiful insides, although that is more rare. I acted on it once. I am still with her, in fact. 1 1/2 years, about now. She isn't the most beautiful person in the world, 12 years older then me, and may not be the best person in terms of personality. I love her though. Anyway, our experience has not been good. Being together has not been the best thing for us. We have relapsed together 3 times. We have been homeless together. We have hurt each other. There has been much pain in our relationship.

We were both sick when we got together, even though we were clean and sober. Our character defects were still survival skills to us, some still are. It's been a bumpy road. The only reason we're still together is we are very hard headed and stubborn. And there's that funny thing there, we care about each other. I call it love.

Long story short, I wouldn't recommend it based on experience. It didn't turn out as well as being alone probably would have. I have to get to know me and let God work on me before I can get to know her and let God work on us together.

We actually separated for a short time to work on us, pray about being together and overall just be alone for a time, living the program. It helped, but we are still sick.

Being sick together is one heck of a challenge xD

Also, I just have to add, reading through the thread.... No one has any right to say #$^! about your choices, or do anything to you because they disapprove. Last I checked there was a 9th tradition saying we are not organized. It's explained in the 12x12 in AA that this particular definition of organization means that no one has any right to enforce anything. Period. There's also a 2nd tradition that states we have no ultimate authority save God. And a 12th tradition that calls for humility and a practice of principles. And a .... You get the point.

I can do anything I am willing to pay the consequences for, and no one has any right to correct me unless I ask them. In my opinion that includes my sponsor. I was taught that not following spiritual principles can end in relapse, maybe death. There are no 12-step police to put me back on track, but I've relapsed due to not following spiritual principles.