View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
GardenMama

Something quite powerful that I heard here and at my NarAnon meeting: the difference between an alcoholic and a drug addict is that the alcoholic will deny he pawned the ring, but the drug addict will help you look for the ring he pawned. The fact that he told you is in line with your own moral judgement -- that "at least he admitted it" kind of thinking, but I guess what I learned the hard way is that you really cannot trust your recovering addict to tell you the truth about anything for quite a while, and especially in early recovery. He admitted he probably pawned it, so let it go. Figure out where you boundary is. Sometimes it requires that we recovering loved ones do things we would not normally do--like not believe our addict, like not fix things for them, like just let be what is, not try to make it into something we wish was true...This is not easy. It takes the same kind of commitment as our addicted loved ones make when they decide to be clean and sober. You are to be commended for asking questions here, of yourself, thinking and wondering about how to proceed. You are doing a great job, BlueChair. Hang in there. Peace.