Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BlueChair

This is funny, but I also think it is sort of sweet. Your his mom and you wanted to give him things to make him feel cozy and safe. Or at least that is what I think maybe. I had to get my husbands things together while he was in the hospital. His mom asked me if we needed to buy anything, so we went out one day and bought a couple of things for him. And I am guilty of writing the little notes too. I didnt buy cards, but I wrote on some stationary we had, put in a picture, and wrote a little note. The pictures were just reminders of special times and stuff. I just wanted him to have some reminders of how life is good in case he was feeling down and was there all alone. maybe silly, but I look at pictures for reminders sometimes and it creates positive thoughts towards creating new memories.

Originally Posted by lizwig View Post
Oh my word allthatsgood....You just reminded me of something. I apologize bluechair....I promise I'm not trying to hijack your post...there's a good message/reminder here for us. When my son was in rehab he happened to mentioned they didn't do laundry often enough. He didn't ask for anything. What I "heard" him say was that he needed new sweats....and some nice soft high thread count v neck t-shirts.....and some new socks....and new underwear...I mean who doesn't like new underwear....oh and gum....and a slew of drawing supplies....and a couple of books....and a phone card (he already had one with minutes on it)....and a week's worth of cards with "open on this day" written on them and some nice sheepskin slippers. Wow. I blocked that completely. What on earth was I thinking? Alas...if I ever get the opportunity again....I hope to not smother him with my good intent. I hope instead to encourage him with my words and leave the work to him alone. I have learned so much. I will be forever grateful. I wish someone would send me a care package full of my favorite things!! Won't one of you take the hint!?