View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NewlyWed

Unhappy Is This What Marriage Is Like?

4 months ago I was married to a recovering alcoholic. I'm 23 and he's 34. He has been sober since I've known him until now. He has been taking vicodin for chronic pain for the past 1 1/2 years and recently told me that he would like to get off of the medication because he doesn't like to be dependent on it. A week later I found out that he had been taking anywhere from 40-100 pills a day! He then went into the hospital for detoxing and found out that his liver enzymes were extremely elevated and he was transferred to a medical floor. His enzymes would keep going up and the doctors were concerned that he would have to be put on a donor list if the enzymes wouldn't come down. Thank God they started to come down and now he's doing better and the levels are almost back to normal. In the meantime, I found out that he hadn't been paying the bills and has spent well over $11,000 since we were married in August. I also found out that he knew he had a problem since before we were married.

So here I am, feeling lied to, betrayed, angry and hurt. I feel as though his vows meant nothing to me. I'm not sure what to expect as far as Tx goes and when do you reach a point when enough is enough?? I'm having a tough time worrying about whether I will be enabling or become co-dependent and how do you give tough love? And how can someone claim to love you so much but then turn around and hurt you so bad?? I feel as though I've aged 10 years...I feel old and I'm only 23!! So if anyone out there has any words of wisdom I would greatly appreciate your comments and advice...

NewlyWed