Thread: New to Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jtukbb7

Thank you guys for making me feel welcome.

I didn't realize that stopping this soon would be an uncommon thing. I can see that my habit is escalating quickly, I know that this can bring serious problems, and I'm really not trying to wait and find out what happens.

GracieLou, I don't have any plan at the moment, I don't really know how to start with that. The last time I was drank was about 20 hours ago, and I do feel a general urge to have a beer right now, it isn't strong, but I'm thinking it will be stronger sooner or later.

Are there any mental techniques, or any techniques at all that anyone finds helpful to fight the urge? I don't know how strong it's going to get, because usually I just feed the urge.

visch1, there is an open AA meeting just down the road from me (behind the local ABC store ironically, I guess it's easy for us to find! though they are held after the store is closed) which I plan on going to if I really start to feel bad.

I live in a small town in North Carolina where drinking is a pretty common thing. Also, I work in a convenience store, and people buy beer all the time, and lots of locals come in drunk. I think this has boosted my own drinking because I see and talk to heavy drinkers every night I am working. I think this might be hard if I stop because I stock and sell beer regularly.

Thank you guys!