Thread: New to Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jtukbb7

New to Recovery

Hello everyone

I don't know where to start so I will just be as honest and clear as possible.

I have developed Alcoholism over the last couple of years. In the months before my 21st birthday I drank about once a week, hanging out with friends, and sometimes alone.

When I turned 21 (almost exactly a year ago, turned 22 this week) EVERYONE was intent on drinking with me, people came and took me out to bars, showed up to my house with Liquor and Beer. I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun, and got a taste for it.

It's hard to think of when it became a very very regular thing, but I can say that since then I've been drinking more than once a week, and since probably late February of this year I've been drinking every day, with maybe a day without it here and there, but they don't seem to be common at all.

I also work very odd hours, so it is hard for me to keep track of when I'm doing it and how often (I can't say "I drink every evening and then go to bed" for example), but it has been everyday and it is becoming more constant, and I am thinking about it a lot. I also know that the odd hours paired with lots of drinking is probably hurting my health more than I realize.

Anyway, I have not talked about this with people, and I know there are all sorts of cases, but what I am aware of is that I have become dependent on Alcohol, I want to stop, and I'm thinking it would be much easier if I can find support from others who understand and support them as well.

I will be starting school next month, as well as continuing work, I have good opportunities, but it will be hard to balance school and work. I want to make a good life for myself, and I see that my drinking is a direct threat to that.

I drink alcohol every day--sometimes multiple times, it is hurting my health, my relationship to others, it is threatening my future, and I want to stop before it gets worse!

Whew! I said it!