View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
noexcuse

Resentment...need some advice

I can feel a major resentment building and I need some advice on how to deal with it. I'm at work, so I can't duck out to go to a meeting and I already texted my sponsor, but she's also at work, so I haven't heard back yet.

Anyway, my kids have been staying at my parents' house for the last two weeks because of the involvement with Family Services with my family - me in particular. Family Services felt that it was in my kids' best interest to not stay with us until we got into some specific programs for help in my husband and my relationship with each other and with alcoholism. My parents agreed to have the kids stay with them.

Today, my husband gave my mom an update on the situation and explained that Family Services is working to have the kids back into our care, or possibly just my husband's care, by the end of this week. My mom responded, "Good, because this has really ruined my summer." My husband waited a minute to respond, but he did point out to her that having the kids didn't have to 'ruin' the summer, just 'change' it and that it was nice that they got to spend time together. She said, "Well, I guess that's another way to look at it, but it wasn't exactly quality time."

My feelings are hurt by that statement... I know that the situation isn't ideal, obviously. But we've gone to great lengths to ensure that this would be as non-disruptive as possible for both the kids and my parents. My parents haven't missed one of their social obligations because of this. Because my mom has often been this way, we make sure that if my dad wasn't going to be there, one of us would be, so that she wouldn't have to be saddled with the burden of watching both of the kids by herself. We are allowed to visit whenever we want, so either me or my husband (or both) have been there almost all day long every single day since this started. We buy food, we put the kids to bed at night, we swim with them during the day, we give them their baths.

My mom is a teacher, she has the whole summer off, and she has written off the entire summer over being forced to be with her grandkids for two of those weeks.

Sorry for the long post. I'm not good with resentments and I don't want to let this fester. I'm just not sure how to be OK with that comment.