View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

Jeni26-

My bias. Eating disorders don't have to be diagnosable by DSMV IV to cause a lot of damage. I make the analogy about the difference between a hurricane and a tropical storm....both can be destructive though typically a hurricane provides more life threatening concern in the immediate moment. Regardless of where mine fell on the spectrum I was miserable, isolating, numbing out my emotions with food (or with not eating), unable to connect with others etc. I suspect I would have gotten to a diagnosible ED if I had not gotten help....it was just where I was headed and my only choosen path of self-destruction.

I have had plenty of items to work through on my recovery....and it takes time. As long as I was not ONLY taking backward steps I counted it as moving forward.

I go to a number of Open AA meetings (especially one that is a woman's only group) and am amazed at the strength of people's recovery....but also hear that now that their sobriety is in place all the other concerns of life starting to pop up (one being their relationship with food).

I am amazed at you, midnight and bloss for the recovery you have under your belt. You will know IF and when it is the right time to cross this hurdle. I hope though that regardless of your choice that it DOES NOT detract from the recovery you already have in place.

There is a new book out by Jenni Schaefer (who I love) called Almost Anorexic. I can't wait to read it because I suspect it will speak to me in that quasi unknown land of sophisticated self-harm that does not "fall" into any category.