View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bombadil

There are two people that I would cite as inspiration for attempting recovery.

Firstly, my former guitar teacher and dear friend. He taught me everything I know about the craft and helped me get some breaks that allowed me to make some money. He's never touched alcohol, tobacco or drugs in his life and he's had an extremely successful music career (some of the blues/rock aficionados on here may even recognise his name, but I won't post it for the sake of anonymity). He recently sat me down and told me he was worried about my drinking. That was the primary reason that I began considering abstinence from alcohol, as I have such respect for him.

Secondly, CM Punk. I know there's a stigma attached to pro wrestling because it's scripted, but I've always been a huge fan and CM Punk shows that shunning drugs and alcohol will help you reach the pinnacle of your field, whatever that may be, in his case, wrestling. I've been watching a lot of his stuff (even more so than normal!) the last few days since I committed to sobriety and it can be good for a laugh. Typically he plays a bad guy and his catchphrase was "I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. And that makes me better than you." The crowd HATED him, which was exactly the reaction he wanted! Of course I don't agree with that preachy, elitist attitude, but he's just playing a character (although much of the sobriety gimmick is based off him IRL), and it can be very entertaining.