Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

I am recovered completely. My wife drinks and there is scotch in the house. She smokes so there is always a carton of smokes in the house. Has no more to do with me than the milk in the fridge she drinks and I would gag on. I do not drink female bovine glandular secretions!) Since I was smoking three packs a day and since I was going in hospital for a detox, I figured why quit only one killing addiction, why not both. So I quit smoking and drinking at the same time after 42 years of smoking since a pack a day at the mature age of 12.

I won't get complacent because I will never forget what poor decisions and self indulgence caused me to do to myself. Sorry I don't ascribe the addiction to voices or another personality telling me anything. I have thoughts where I think through the pros and cons, but it is all me. I was the addicted one desiring it. The devil, voices, were not outside me, nor something I could conveniently blame. It was not me! It was my scapegoat!

Nope, it was me. I was the one who decided that alcohol was a poor thing to do for instant adult gratification. I am now mature enough to be adult and not need to drink. I look at it like a binky we give kids. I no longer need my binky to confront life. Outgrown it.

You can too. Just never forget that helpless feeling, and your all powerful start urges. If you don't it WILL progress to where I was.

I used here, and AA for a few months for their great non-judgmental fellowship. Good examples face to face was also what I needed to understand my PAWS.
Congrats on seeing the cause and changing your mindset!