Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

You are not alone. I too felt only survival, not deprival.

Everyone is different. I almost quit SR because from six months to my first year sober I kept hearing the dire tales of relapse, some seeming to say that since they made a very bad decision and relapsed, that therefore relapse is pretty much inevitable.

If you read a lot here you can see it in the phrasing. Some like me flipped a switch in our heads and were willing to do whatever it took to get and stay sober. If being secretive didn't work we read out docs in and got very public help. Whatever it takes. If what it takes is just SR, then they are committed to SR!

You will read lots of conditional statements that they could never go to a meeting because others would know, as if they didn't already. Or that they can't afford the time off work. Or that stress cases them to drink. Triggers, visuals, smells etc. See many don't want to quit. They just want their cake and eat it too. They WANT to drink, but they also want to keep their marriage and job and will do anything to have them all. For us, we can have it all without alcohol. I don't miss it. My head has healed more each year.

I had some awful PAWS, but from the day I checked into the hospital for a 7 day safe medical detox, I never craved another drink physically or emotionally. I was so sick at the end. See I was doing what you did on binges every day for several years. I am glad you are finding the way forward as easy, before dealing with severe physical addiction such that the day must start with alcohol or the shakes incapacitated you.

Just don't lose sight of the fact that we are all one drink away from enslavement again. I have three years sober. Not drinking once I broke free was easy for me too. I will never forget the morning sickness, the shaking like palsy, the inability to drive myself, the isolation.

Welcome to the world of us non-drinkers. We don't miss it any more than someone who never drank. In fact, except for here, I never give it a thought when around drinkers or alone. Sometimes I decide I'm thirsty around folks drinking beers or iced drinks and a smoothie or coke hits the spot.

Of alcohol, no thanks I've drunk my fill.