View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mango blast

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I don't know that it's the calories so much as the quick energy that sugar provides, just as alcohol does. Most newly recovering alcoholics don't crave fat, for example.

Good nutrition is important, but MOST important in the very beginning, especially, is dealing with urges to drink. If sugar (or caffeine, another common substitute) helps with those, it's no time to nag the alcoholic about eating better.
There is the alternate approach to this: avoiding sugar and caffeine while getting sober to kill the cravings sooner, especially with using supplements such as glutamine, l-carnitine and others. Stabilizing the blood sugars can help with recovery. Besides blood sugars and energy, alcoholics often have a candida (yeast) imbalance that feeds on the alcohol/sugars.
Alcoholism & Other Addictions
Candidiasis, Alcohol, Sugar Cravings

I have blood sugar issues myself, and food intolerances, yet I needed this reminder. To quit drinking is the most important step, no matter what it takes to get there. If a sugar boost is the thing you need the most, even when physically it's what you really don't need, so be it! It's a much better substitute than a bottle of whiskey.