View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Don't do it!! I'm speaking from 6+ years in recovery and all using did for me was give m a temporary "don't give a f----" attitude, then remorse, shame, and suicidal thoughts came in because I felt so bad.

I don't go to meetings now, but I did (AA as they were much more frequent than NA) and I use what I learned there, every_single_day. My first meeting I was terrified. I smoke cigarettes, so I got to meet a few people before the meeting that were smoking.

I admitted to being a newcomer, I admitted to my addiction...though it wasn't alcohol, I needed help, and I hung around afterwards. I went to various meetings, hung around before and afterward. The "meetings after the meetings" were quite helpful.

The first meeting is scary as he!!, IMO. Throw in "guy problems" and it makes things worse. What I found out was that not only was I an A, I was a codependent!!!

Took many years, but I finally addressed both (not saying YOU are a codie, but it's quite common with us A's) and went through the "first meeting anxiety" with al-anon with more than 5 years in recovery.

We reach out, we find things that work, things that don't work, but we keep looking for those things that click with us.

My recovery is a bit of AA, a bit of Buddhism and Native American, and Christianity (the Buddhism and Native American I found here). I really don't care WHAT works, I just focus on what does. I do have to admit....AA? I work the steps in my own way, and it really does help. I'm grateful to those who adopted this lowly crackhead into the program.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy