View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bemyself

Doc Sober, I was just re-reading the thead; I too feel exactly the same about how wonderful it would be if Australia (which currently has NO, NADA, ZILCH LR meets) would, um ' get with the programme' on that score (terrible pun).

At least here in my State, Victoria, there are only a few Women for Sobriety groups (and only in about 3 suburbs, far flung, and only on a couple of days each week). Ditto for f2f SMART meets. And, as noted above, absolutely NO LR meets.

So if those of you in the US feel frustrated / disappointed / amazed that AA (which I do also attend, for simply the occasional fellowship aspect) is the dominant f2f paradigm.....try getting and staying sober with an eclectic approach here in Aus: one of the biggest drinking cultures in the Western world, believe me.

And, ando there in Dublin: lucky you!!! Especially as any of us who know Irish culture and / or have visited there recognise: its drinking culture, along with the English, is almost the gold standard from which Australia (as originally an English colony) got its deep, deep embeddedness in, well, DRINKING. A lot. Yeah, I'm part-Irish by ancestry, and part-English. Born and brought up in Australia, too, with an alcoholic Dad. and various uncles.....What hope did I ever have?!