View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hope2bhappy

Clarification and to DesertEyes...

These were my points, exactly, when I first posted this thread. After reading so many stories about how things (for some people) got worse after sobriety, it suddenly dawned on me that perhaps sobriety was not as attractive as I once thought. I had deluded myself into believing how much better my marriage could be if only my husband was sober. Evidently, not so. I wasn't trying to project about my own situation (though I did write my post in the first person). I'd had a revelation (or an awakening), so I wrote about it.

Mike - you said "it's up to the individual what they want to do with their life." I'm thinking about this, but I'm not sure I completely agree. I'm thinking that each of us, to some extent, should also accept responsibility for those we have emotionally or physically involved in our lives. For example, if you married someone, isn't there a responsibility to respect the vows? If you father a child, isn't there a responsibility toward that life you helped create? Aren't these responsibilities just consequences to our choices? No man/woman stands alone. When you throw the rock into a pond, each ripple represents a life which is affected. To say that we are only responsible for our individual selves seems a little too simplistic to me, as well as a cop out to the rest of the people who are in our lives. Just MY opinion. You are much farther along in your recovery than I am, and I bow to your experience and wisdom.

Myself, personally... I am far, far away from that stage of the alcoholic journey. My husband is no where near recovery.