Thread: New!
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ptcapote

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I needed a break to grow my sobriety muscles. When I was sure that mnothing or noone could sway me, then I was right to go anywhere.
D
Hi Mistical, yep, couldn't agree with what Dee said here more. I am on five months now and although I am better at handling social situations where there the booze is flowing, I really only put myself in those situations if I absolutely have to (i.e. work). Otherwise, I just kind of stay clear. I put way too much time and effort into getting here that it is so worth it to make sure I have "my sobriety muscles" before risking it. I am not planning to hide forever but the first few months are indeed critical and you don't want to mess around.

I had the same experience with AA initially. I love the old-timers but the first group I went to was full of men that quit drinking before I was even born. Their advice is invaluable but, to feel comfortable, I needed more people "like me." I tried about six different AA meetings and finally found the two I go to now. I love them and it has been absolutely key in my sobriety along with a daily presence here on SR. So definitely check out a few more meetings til one or two feel right to you.

So glad you joined us and good luck on your journey...it is SO WORTH IT!