View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Skydreamer73

Hey Mitch,
You have to live your own life, sounds like if she is in the hospital she "may" get some much needed help, but it is not your job to stick it out and go through that, of course you care, of course you want to help if your a decent human being, but truth is you can not truly do anything for anyone other then yourself. The messed part about a mental illness or addict is they can be so charming when they want to be and we want to believe them and keep trying, hard truth is until they make an honest change via therapy, medication and recovery from substances nothing will change long term.

I went through something similar, and we did split up for about 3 years, during that time she went through a few more rounds and was finally hospitalized, she was put on medication and after several months we resumed our relationship and had a really good 5-6 years until a few months ago when she returned to alcohol and occasionally other drugs, we went through some hard months but she finally saw she needed help, went to rehab and now has about 45 days clean and is herself again and now working very hard, going to meetings, making new friends, etc which is what should have happened last time except after all those years we both got complacent and the monster emerged. What gives me hope this go round is that she check herself in, and now she has the tools to stay clean where before we figured the medicine would just take care of it, that was a mistake on all of us. She now sees that while she may get away with a drink or two here or there that most likely at some point it will start the process again so she just has to not drink period and she is willing to do so, at least for now....

There are no guarantees, except if you do nothing for yourself it will never change my friend, I recommend doing what you need to do for you, maybe she will get help and maybe down the road it could resume, or maybe it just is what it is and new and better things are ahead of you, just my 2 cents.... best wishes my friend!!!!!!!