Thread: First time
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
OnawaMiniya

Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I found this site a few months ago, and read through a lot of postings and just today, I got the nerve to sign up. My spouse of 16 years is an alcoholic, but he still refuses to admit more than drinking a little more than the "common folk". What has made this so hard to admit to myself, is that he has never been abusive or mean, has not missed a day of work, doesn't go on binges for days on end, even tells me he loves me every day...but he hides alcohol, and lies about it....and has been doing so for at least 13 years. That's why I'm here.
Hi, Ripper. Glad you finally joined. I lurked and read for a while, too. But I'm so glad I joined - you will be, also. There is a lot of support, kindness, and wisdom here.

I can relate in a sense. Mine gets sick less than me, for example. Honestly can't believe his physical health isn't worse. Of course in his mind this means he's fine.
This doesn't make it hard for me to admit to myself, though...the opposite is true: in his mind, it's proof that he's fine. But if he keeps going his health will suffer eventually.

I wonder if the reasons you give of why it's hard to admit to yourself are things he has told you as his "proof" that he's "fine"?

If so, you don't need to take excuses from someone who lies and hides drinking.

I hope you keep posting here.