View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ananda

I have a history of repeated relapse. this time I decided to take Vivitrol (the injection form of Naltraxone). Fighting the bottle wasn't working well for me. There would always be the day that I just didn't make it through to the correct choice and even when I did not drink, I was then just obsessed with not drinking instead of being obsessed with drinking. Alcohol still owned me.

this last 6 weeks have been GREAT! Once a month I have to make a decision to take the shot. After that, it's over...I know that I won't get the effect I want from the alcohol..just the icky part...so no point in drinking. The shots have freed me to focus on recovery instead of fighting the bottle 24-7.

I had a bottle of naltraxone that had been perscribed, but I never took it...I knew there was no way I was gonna be able to take it everyday...so no real point. The doctor suggested the Vivitrol. It took special approval from insurance and even when covered is quite expensive. For me, having tried everything else I know of, Vivitrol was the only option left to try...and I am so glad I did

If antibuse works for you and you can make the decision every day to take it...it may releive your mind and allow you to focus on life in recovery. I don't do AA or NA or Smart or AVRT or any of the other formal programs. I do come to SR and practice a recovery program of what works for me. So far so good