Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
CousinA
Friend of Jimmy B

The first year or so of my sobriety was the hardest thing I've done. I didn't want to drink but my medication was gone and I have to being dealing with life. I'm grateful for that time because I learned to use the fellowship and program of AA.

Other things along the way...

The death of my sponsor Jim when I was 12 or 13 years sober. He was probably the person who helped me more than any other to become the man I am today. Thanks, Jim.

9/11. I live in NYC and worked four blocks from the site and had family, friends and clients nearby. The first couple of days waiting for news about them was probably the most stressful and surreal time.

Living with physical pain and uncertainty about my health for the past 15 or so years. I have a neurological condition and arthritis in my knees and neck. Some days gettig out of bed is the best I can do.

Financial problems the past few years due to the economy, my physical condition and not being the best manager of my time and resources. I went into Chapter 7 Bankruptcy the summer of my 30th year in sobriety. I found help in this area working the steps in another fellowship.

What helps is what a friend and I were talking about the other day... What we call the short form of the 3rd step... Sh** happens. It has nothing to do with me being an alcoholic and picking up a drink over any of it won't help. What we used to call the "no matter what club".