Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I personally have never thought of myself as "co-dependent." I wasn't raised in a home where abnormal things were treated as normal.

I was not in a healthy state, myself, when I met the men who wound up being bad for me. I think I was in a particularly vulnerable state, and something about them attracted me. I don't find those characteristics attractive when my head is screwed on straight.

But something happens when people fall in love. And I don't think it is just "co-dependents" who do that. We come to care about people. We see good qualities. With my first husband, who drank constantly, one of the things that attracted me was that he used to write letters to his nearly-blind grandmother with big magic markers so she could read them. That touched me.

Just because people are alcoholics doesn't mean they don't have endearing qualities--though those qualities gradually become more and more obscured by the alcohol. And by then, we are desperately wishing they would just pull themselves together, and keep hoping that they will, if we are just a little more patient, or insistent, or argue the point a little better.

I don't know that any of that is pathological. I think we CAN become very sick in many ways as a result of living with alcoholism, but I find the "co-dependent" label a bit too facile for the wide range of people who wind up in alcoholic relationships and finding it difficult to give up on someone we care about.

Just my opinion.