View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

Raspberry,

I wasn't ready to quit when I came here the first time...not for six whole months.

I definitely had "stages" in getting sober...mostly emotional,psychological and physical ones (I had to feel REALLY bad from drinking before I was ready to give it up) but when it came to quitting...I had to quit, not just cut back.

Until I quit, I wasn't going to reap the benefits of sobriety.

I went through a grieving process. Google grief stages. I was in denial, then anger, then bargaining, etc etc...

I felt sorry for myself, overwhelmed etc etc (nearly all of us do at some point) but in time I realized that the people on SR are here to support sobriety, by sharing their experience. They respected me enough to tell me the truth and allow me to find my way, and keep talking to me even after I'd thrown a tantrum, pity party or relapsed.

When I had processed a lot of my grief, gotten real sick and was ready to get sober, they shared what had worked for them.

Welcome to SR.

If you want to read about "tapering" as in getting sober gradually, there are a lot of threads on the subject. Type "tapering" into the search bar above. People have shared their experience with that and you can find out if it appeals to you and if you think it might work for you. A number of people have shared their tapering journey here.