Thread: Motivation
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

Hey! Unemployed in the Bay, I'm in that club, high five!

So... I actually have a different take than the others, for what it's worth. I've left emotionally abusive men, and I've quit drinking. If I were in your shoes, I'd start with getting rid of the fiancé. Getting sober is hard, and I can't imagine doing it under the conditions you describe.

Do you have friends or family you can stay with? I think the best possible thing you could do right now would be to find someone you trust, tell them that you need to leave your fiancé, and go stay with them. You need accountability. The last abusive guy was the only one I ever left successfully without moving to a different state or country, and the only way I did it was because I had a whole lot of friends who would have been horrified if I'd taken him back. I really would have if it had been just me.

It was embarrassing, it was awful, I was lonely and miserable, but I just stayed at my friend's place and was a lump of a human being for a little while until I could start to feel again.

Even if it means flying to another part of the country for a while, I think you need to leave him and sort out the house from somewhere else. It needs to be done. Rip the bandaid off. Every day that you're with an abusive man, it gets harder to dig yourself out. And every day it does damage to your well-being.

Don't give him a chance to be manipulative. You're unemployed, you can do this now, you're not stuck like you would be if you had a job! This is the perfect time. Pack some bags while he's out of the house and go.