View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
legna

Originally Posted by DoubtfulDebs View Post
so my only caveat would be to worry for some people (not you, from what you've written!) would mistake the concept of 'cured' for 'i am cured from having a problematic thirst for alcohol, and therefore i can drink again, once in a blue moon, in mnoderation' which i personally don't think is possible for someone who has gotten phsyically and psychologically addicted.

i think that's my only question about the concept.
Thanks very much for responding. I share your concern, or caveat and know that it is what has held me back from sharing what I just did until now.

The thing is though, I would take JT's take a step further... I truly think I could drink in moderation today if I chose to... but there is absolutely no appeal, not even at a social level. In fact, the idea of having a drink in a social setting is about as appealing to me as ordering a pizza with anchovies to share with my friends. I don't like what anchovies do to me (heartburn) and I don't like what alcohol does to me (impairs my cognitive functions) so I simply wouldn't do it...

but I think I could. Even using the disease model of alcoholism, it is said that alcohol is but a symptom of the disease. Address the disease itself and the symptoms go away.