Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DoubtfulDebs

yes, i was lonely too but i have to say that after a few weeks sober, part of my desire to be around other recovering addicts still was that i wanted to re-hear my beast's old refrain, of 'this is hard and you'll probably struggle...' which, right there is 100% prime beast-activity/addictive voice that's working to try and make me drink against my better judgement.

so be careful, and stay alert to the point at which you might find the desire to talk about recovery in a healthy way becomes the toxic desire to build up the difficulty of it, or generally have your mindset in a place where you self-identify as an addict. it's a fine line and only you can know if it will affect you, and maybe it won't, y'know?

so anyway all that said, i was lonely still for places that weren't pubs & bars, so i started attending all sorts of early morning things (that would never have happend when i was drinking and always ill in the morning!) and they REALLY helped, morning/breakfast events are the one social event that don't revolve around booze BUT don't risk dragging me into associating my identity with recovery, which i presonally found triggered the 'addictive voice'/beast to start up and get excited.

meetup.com might have some listings for things in your area, be sure to serach for 'all' events and not just most popular, anything before about 09:00am is likely to be entirely free of the spectre of booze or that hideous 'let's go to the bar' afterwards thing and things like early morning meditation groups, early morning events at the gym... you get the picture i'm sure!