Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by bruce292
It's easy to say that my son was the root cause of my drinking. That's not really true. I drank to escape ... to quiet the mind and to shut off the negative information my mind kept feeding me.
Thank you for posting this. I believe this to be true for myself as well. I have triplet sons that are 15. One has autism and one has ADHD. Quite different disorders with equally frustrating behaviors. I often used my situation as a reason/excuse/trigger to drink, but its not. Not a valid one anyway. It's been several years since I quit drinking, and it is so much easier to deal with the behaviors than it ever was when I was drinking.

Alcohol makes hard things harder.

As far as quitting, I decided that no matter what I was not going to drink. No matter what. I found out a couple of years after quitting that people use a technique called AVRT. You might research it and see if you find it helpful. There are several threads in the secular section of SR.