View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
datingadrinker

Dating a alcoholic

I'm sure this has been asked a million times. I was looking for a place to live and a friend introduced me to one of her friends who had the upstairs of her house to rent. I met her and we hit it off right away, but I wasn't looking for a girlfriend.

Well the more we lived together, the closer we have become. First she has cancer (bone cancer in hips to be exact) 2nd she is an admitted alcoholic. 3rd her husband left her when she was diagnosed with cancer.

I really like her, she is a fantasic person even when she's drinking, and she had a DUI 3 years ago, got into a program got clean for 2 years, but when she was diagnosed with cancer she turned to the bottle to deal with it. She is a high functioning alcoholic, she says she doesn't drink outside the house anymore since she had the DUI, and I believe her. She is not a mean drunk, but she drinks till vodka (usually about half a bottle a day) until she passes out at night, gets up in the morning goes to work, comes home and drinks shots from the bottle all night.

She really is a great person, maybe I am being an enabler, by justifying it by that she is a great person. She has also calls me to bring home vodka from time to time, and I do.

I have been told by several people to run and don't look back, but I don't want to be the ******* that abandons her.

So is it ever ok to date a alcoholic?